Classes at Lifetime Learning Center (LLC) with instructor Tom Dempsey
My next LLC class is scheduled to start in the first week of May 2020:
“Nature Travel Photography”
8 sessions (dates to be announced, for May-June)
1:15-2:45, at Lifetime Learning Center
3841 NE 123rd St, Seattle, WA 98125
Office phone: (206) 949-8882
The best travel camera is the one you are willing to carry everywhere, including smartphone, pocketsize, and midsize cameras, all welcome in this class. But capturing often-distant nature travel subjects or wildlife really demands a good OPTICAL ZOOM, at least 8x to 25x. I recommend the pocketsize cameras with viewfinders and midsize cameras shown on my Cameras page.
Bring your fully-charged camera to class, and learn how to better pre-visualize, expose, focus, compose, make panoramas, edit color tones, and share images. We’ll also share tips about worldwide eco travel destinations!
Tom taught the following classes at Lifetime Learning Center in Seattle:
- 2019 Apr 1-May 24 for 8 days MW: “Smartphone Photography”. The latest smartphones make photography easier than ever. Bring your fully-charged phone to class, and we’ll learn how to better previsualize, expose, focus, compose, make panoramas, edit color tones, and share to impress your friends. Upgrading your phone will really help your photography. The best now have dual cameras on the back (such as Samsung Galaxy Note9 and iPhone 7 Plus or later). Their 2x telephoto lens greatly improves portraits and brings distant subjects closer. The latest “HDR Auto” smartly captures better shadows while preserving highlights. Other good cameras include Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel.
- 2018 Apr 30-May 16 for 6 days MW: “Editing Digital Photography”. Learn how to edit digital images with emotional impact, true to the subject. Because cameras don’t record like our eyes see, we must compensate with smart tonal adjustments in Apple Photos, in my favorite Adobe Lightroom, or in your preferred editor. We’ll cover cropping, tonal editing (exposure, contrast, & Adjustment Brush), histograms, and color theory. We’ll review before and after edits of students’ emailed photo homework.
- 2018 Jan 8–Jan 31 for 8 days MW: “Smartphone Photography“
- 2017 Oct 31–Nov 16: “Digital Photography on the Go“
- 2017 April 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20: “Editing Digital Photography“
- 2016 November 1–17: “Digital Photography on the Go”
- 2016 March 28–April 18: “Digital Photography on the Go”
In Summer 2011, Tom Dempsey taught a 5-day Alps Photo Workshop visiting Venice and the Dolomites Mountains, guided by Gary Scott of Right Path Adventures, DolomitesWalkingTours.com
- “Tom, I really appreciate your patience in explaining the color wheel, techniques of editing, and how to access various settings on our digital cameras.” – Nora MacDonald
- “Thank you for all your help in making me more comfortable with my camera. A great class!” – Rochelle Goldberg
- “I’ve really been enjoying this, Tom, and I think what I’ve been learning here is improving my eye for painting as well as photography. Thank you!” – Kay.
- “After taking two classes with Tom Dempsey, my skill at composing photographs has improved greatly. Tom is a skilled photographer, and a knowledgable and patient teacher. He does his homework, presents well, listens respectfully to the comments and questions of his students and follows up. Tom gets back to us with emails to answer additional questions as well. He presents information at the correct level for his audience, whether individually or in the group. I really appreciate Tom as an instructor and plan to sign up for his photo editing class.” – Deb West, who has attended three class series plus private tutorials
Images from my book, “Light Travel: Photography on the Go“:
Add any of the above images to your Cart for purchase using my Portfolio site.