In one of our best trips ever, Carol and I hiked in Switzerland from July 27 to August 30, 2016. We walked for 200 miles (on 25 days out of 35 total) via trailheads connected by the world’s handiest public transportation. Included was my professional photography of two wonderful tours by Alpenwild.com, the world’s largest provider of English-language Alps tours.
See my trip images: 2016 Switzerland galleries.
To plan your next trip, see my online guide to the Alps.
In the following video captured at unforgettable Eigeralp farm in Bussalp above Grindelwald, the cheesemaker gave an impromptu accordion concert, inspiring some to dance:
Video from within the slot canyon of Trummelbach Falls, Lauterbrunnen:
Switzerland itinerary map 2016
As an Artist in Residence for Alpenwild.com in summer 2016, I captured 4000 images in Switzerland (see my galleries) for company promotion. Alpenwild is the world’s largest provider of English-speaking tours in Switzerland. In response to my photos, Alpenwild founder Greg Witt said:
These are absolutely stunning—I couldn’t be happier. Some of us in the office today going through your 342 favorites and each one brought back a lot of memories and also generated a lot of excitement as we discussed where and how we can best use these for maximum impact.
While I had already designed a detailed self-guided trip covering 5 weeks, Alpenwild’s expert guidance further refined the trip, adding much to our comfort and enjoyment, including the following two wonderful week-long packages:
- Appenzell Inn-to-Inn with Alpenwild (see itinerary) – Hiking in Appenzell and the Alpstein.
- Exploring the Jungfrau with Alpenwild (see itinerary) – Inn-to-inn hiking in Berner Oberland.
- To save money, ask about their self-guided trips.
Recommended Alps travel guidebooks from Amazon.com:
Search for latest “Alps travel books” on Amazon.com (look for updates every 1 to 3 years).
Bring a good country guide plus a detailed hiking guidebook:
- Lonely Planet Switzerland is a great country guide for planning a tour and carrying along.
- Rick Steves’ Switzerland defines concise and efficient tour itineraries for those with limited time. Rick Steves updates the books every year for each country in Europe, saving time and money on heartfelt experiences.
- Switzerland (Eyewitness Travel Guides) is a glossy dream guide which excites your pre-trip planning and makes a handsome souvenir.
- Alps hiking books by Cicerone Guides are essential for planning a hiking trip and carrying along.