On the islands of Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island from January 16 – February 6, 2017, we rediscovered Hawaii. Since my last visit 20+ years ago, traffic is worse but the allure endures.
Most thrilling was lava exploding into the ocean, captured on video:
Above video: From late afternoon through twilight on February 1, 2017 we rented bicycles for the 8 miles round trip on a gravel emergency road to see molten rock exploding in the ocean at Kamokuna in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, just west of Kalapana on the Big Island. On Kilauea volcano’s south flank, Pu’u O’o crater has been erupting continuously since 1983, making it the world’s longest-lived rift-zone (or flank) eruption of the last 200 years. Since 1987, Hawaii’s southern coastal highway has been buried under lava up to 115 feet thick. Kilauea is between 300,000 and 600,000 years old and emerged above sea level about 100,000 years ago. (Tahitian drumming heard in this video was recorded at the evocative Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu.)
Hawaii galleries for each island:
Click here to reach my “Hawaii: Oahu” Portfolio gallery to Add images to Cart.
- Recommended Oahu guidebook: Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond Paperback – June 22, 2018
Click here to reach my “Hawaii: Kauai” Portfolio gallery to Add images to Cart.
Recommended Kauai guidebooks:
- Lonely Planet Kauai 4 (Travel Guide) Paperback – Folded Map, April 20, 2021
- The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed Paperback – December 5, 2021
Click here to reach my “Hawaii: Big Island” Portfolio gallery to Add images to Cart (to buy Downloads, Prints, or Products such as canvas wraps or picture puzzles).
- Recommended Big Island guidebook: Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook Paperback – October 30, 2021
1987 photo: A rare silversword plant blooms in Haleakala National Park, Maui, State of Hawaii, USA. Related to sunflowers, silversword plants grow for up to twenty years before a blooming with a huge flower stalk between May and November. After just a single gigantic bloom, the plant dies. In Haleakala Crater, the fascinating native silversword plants are endangered by feral goats. Silverswords grow only on Maui and the Big Island.
- Recommended Maui guidebook: Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook Paperback – August 29, 2021
Books for the state of Hawaii
Search for latest “Hawaii travel books” on Amazon.com (look for updates every 1 to 3 years).
- Lonely Planet Best of Hawaii 2 (Travel Guide) Paperback – April 20, 2021
- The Hikers Guide to the Hawaiian Islands: Updated and Expanded Paperback – October 31, 2018
- Hawaii, by James A. Michener, Paperback – July 9, 2002
Click “i” to read descriptive Captions. Click the dotted square to scroll a set of thumbnail images. Click here to reach my “USA: Hawaii: Favorites” Portfolio gallery to Add images to Cart (to buy Downloads, Prints, or Products such as canvas wraps or picture puzzles).